Saturday, December 13, 2008

Twilight Unconsciously Mormon


So I watched Twilight this past Thursday (not my idea...really!). The movie was painfully slow and terribly directed. The concept itself is actually cool...but the movie missed every opportunity for more upbeat fiercer music or more dramatic camera work. OK so maybe that's what I expect from a vampire movie nowadays.

I came across this nugget of knowledge this morning. Stephanie Meyer, author of the Twilight Series is a devout member of the Church of Latter Day Saints aka Mormon Church:

Unconsciously, I put a lot of my basic beliefs into the story. Free agency is a big theme, as is sacrifice. One very kind fan wrote to me and said, “instead of gore and horror there was lyrical beauty.” (Okay, so she was probably too kind). Even after I explain all that, I still have LDS friends (and extended family) who look at me funny.


I really didn't expect that at all. It vaguely makes sense...sucking blood equals sex...not sucking blood equals abstinence...no really it is interesting. I also didn't expect Orson Scott Card who wrote Ender's Game was also a Mormon. Then again, this is all I know about Mormonism.

Then again, belonging to a particular faith tradition doesn't necessarily mean that an author will write about that faith's themes in his work.
-Steve K.

No comments: